You must have heard of Nigeria Internet Registration Association (NiRA) and wondering what really is their function.
In this article, I will quickly show you the functions of Nigeria Internet Registration Association (NiRA).
Nigeria Internet Registration Association (NiRA) is a non-governmental organization that has been given the responsibility of managing .ng country code Top Level Domain.
Nigeria Internet Registration Association (NiRA) is a self-regulatory and non-governmental organization that does not operate for profit.
This organization is established by the order of the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria to the Internet Community to manage Nigeria’s Country Code Top Level Domain (hereinafter referred to as .ngTLD).
Before we go into the functions of Nigeria Internet Registration Association (NiRA), lets first understand what a Top Level Domain is.
What is TLD
TLD refers to a Top-Level Domain. TLD is the highest level in the hierarchy of domain names in the DNS.
There are majorly 2 types of TLD on the internet today.
1. Generic Top-Level Domains (gTLDs)
Examples of gTLDs are:
- .com – used for commercial purposes (not-restricted)
- .org – used by non-profit organizations (not-restricted)
- .net – originally used for network infrastructures (not-restricted)
- .edu – used by Colleges and Universities (restricted)
- .gov: used by governments and its agencies (restricted)
2. Country-Code Top-Level Domains (ccTLDs)
Examples of ccTLDs are:
- .NG for Nigeria
- .ZA for South Africa
- .NA for Namibia
- .UK for the United Kingdom
Also See: Best Web Hosting Companies in Nigeria
8 Functions of Nigeria Internet Registration Association (NiRA)
Below are 5 Functions of the Nigeria Internet Registration Association.
1. Administration of .ngTLD
The first function of NiRA is to administer all .ng domain name registration in Nigeria. There are many TLDs – Top Level Domain on the internet.
2. Maintain and Ensure Reliability and Stability of .ngTLD
NiRA also ensures that the operation, security stability and reliability of .ngTLD is maintained.
3. Develope and Establish a Framework for .ngTLD Administration
Another function of the Nigeria Internet Registration Association is to Develop and establish a policy framework for the development and administration of the .ngTLD, including:
- rules governing the operations of sub-level domain registries;
- the creation and allocation of sub-level domains;
- rules governing the accreditation of registrars and registry operations;
- rules governing the registration of names within sub-level domains and access to sub-level domain registries and;
- ensuring that registrars have equal access to sub-level domain registries.
4. Manages Technical Operation
NiRA also manages the operation of technical functions including the following:
- the primary and secondary .ngTLD name servers;
- files for sub-level domains; and
- a searchable database containing information on registrations within the .ngTLD
5. Liaise with national and international bodies on issues relating to the development and administration of domain name system.
6. Ensure cost-effective administration of the .ngTLD
7. Establish appropriate complaints handling and dispute resolution processes in order to provide for conciliation or redress of grievances on matter associated with the administration of the .ngTLD.
8. Promote the use and growth of the Internet in Nigeria with widespread adoption of the .ngTLD in a secure and reliable manner
That’s all on the functions of Nigeria Internet Registration Association.